Monday, March 18, 2013

Simply Beautiful

Dear family! Happy week to you!

It's been a long one for us here... We were pretty cooped up for most of it. I got either a really nasty cold or strep and I was wiped out for about 4 days. Our work looked really shabby, but we prayed a lot and I personally took a lot of comfort in PMG and the words of the living prophets. 
I was really struggling because I wanted so much to be productive, but I just couldn't do a whole lot. Everything was really exhausting. And the worst part was that my body needed sleep sooooo much.... and I couldn't sleep. It was rough. I felt like I was wasting time because even the time I should have spent resting didn't seem to be fulfilling its purpose. If that makes sense. I was really stressed about it and Sister Hayden was so patient and comforting. She served me in a million and one different ways, anticipating every need. She's the best. I was particularly troubled about my lack of sleep and whether I should just be out working when I opened Preach My Gospel to the page in ch. 3, lesson 2, about resurrection and judgment. I was thinking.. "Great. I'm going to be judged as a lazy missionary." ...Not so encouraging. I began to read the first paragraph and was filled with peace at the last sentence, which said in effect, "We will stand before the Father to be judged according to our works and our desires." I had desires to do what He wanted me to do. I have desires to help bring His children to Him through the gospel of Jesus Christ. My desires weren't lacking. And there wasn't a whole lot I could do about my ability to work. So I spent some time praying for our investigators and members. It was very comforting. 

Though we had very few lessons, we really tried to make all our time count. We had some strong commitments from people to come to church.. And by faith and prayers and the service of faithful members, THEY CAME! It was WONDERFUL. We saw many potential future priesthood-holders come, as well as a young woman really progressing toward baptism. It was a beautiful blessing. It was a miracle. And we need that continued help to continue to bring them back, as well as their families and many more. 

To make yesterday even better, we had our quarterly ward missionary fireside. Wow. Now that was sweet. At first I was pretty sad, looking at the number who showed up. But then our young RM ward mission leader started teaching and presenting and I could see that it was still going to be effective. We had some good support and hoped these topics of discussion really would take action afterward. Little did I know just how impactful it could be.
The real magic happened when we talked about activating every member--helping them use the gospel and teaching skills to help their fellow members return and to help people come to church. Sister Hayden and I had a moment to practice teaching Br. Antonio (Ward Mission Leader) as a demonstration, and then they got a chance to put what they learned into action--to teach other returned missionaries in their ward. As they practiced with different individuals in different scenarios, not knowing beforehand the concern of each individual, S. Hayden and I visited each room several times to listen and observe. After each practice, each group that was teaching got feedback, and it was powerful. They really enjoyed it! As the practicing went on, they were filled with an excitement and love. They just glowed! 
Br. Antonio taught them to Know, Feel, and Do, as it suggests in PMG, ch2. He took knowing the doctrine, feeling the Spirit, and doing (commitments and commandments), and added another side to it: Know the concern, help them Feel love (ours and the Saviors), and invite to Do (still commitments and commandments). Both are super important and I loved seeing them catch the spirit and joy of missionary work. It increased my own understanding and desire.

To sum up this week, I just want to quote Pres. Lorenzo Snow and add the tidbits of wisdom with which we've been blessed this week. First, "Do not expect to become perfect at once. If you do, you will be disappointed. Be better today than you were yesterday, and be better tomorrow than you are today."
How true this is! It does not mean we need to make excuses for our behaviors that are conflicting with the Savior's teachings or to avoid aiming high. No. It is just the opposite. Instead, we are to reach for our greatest potential--to become like our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through Christ's Atonement--day by day as They intended. We are to learn and grow, stretch and reach, as we experience the joys and challenges of daily life and strive to follow the commandments and teachings of God. We are to learn from our mistakes, apply the Atonement, and move forward with hope as we try each day to stand a little taller. It really is that simple. 
I testify that God is perfect. He wants us to be, too. And we can be. One day at a time. His Plan is perfect. That does not mean it is complicated. It is in fact, simple. And that is what is so beautiful about it. He will help us to improve, simply through our day to day experience and effort on our part. I love the gospel. I love that it is simple. It is true. It is real. It is full, complete, and perfect.

Just as a quick addition to that, I really enjoyed the article written by someone who works for LDS Family Services in the Liahona... I'm sure it's in the Ensign, too. I forget if they have the same main topic and stuff. I'm sure they do. It's the cover article on p. 10, How to Raise Resilient Children. I love the simple principles there that we can apply to ourselves. 

Random note: look at p. 33 in the new For the Strength of Youth booklet... THat's the Philippines! That's my temple! :D And every morning at our apt, we hear a school or church group singing. One of my first mornings here they sang a song that they sing at church in the movie Take a Chance... Lol thought Lou and Rae would enjoy that. "Lord I love to sing your praises... I'm so glad you're in my life. I'm so glad you came to save us." hahaha

Dad, I need to join with you in studying those great biblical words... :D Hehee you know what it's like studying on the mission. SO MUCH TO DO! But everything in its time. I love that hymn, too! Sacrifice does bring forth the blessings of Heaven. And obedience is greater than sacrifice. Love it!
Mom, I just have 2 mins and want to say you're amazing! Keep it all up! I'll pick the hymn Help Me Teach with Inspiration. it's lovely and so are you!
Lou, you are SOOOOO talented! I love what you made! You are so good! I'll print your email and respond next week, I'm sorry!!!!!!
Rae, I LOVE YOU! You are golden and unique and just the best! Some of the things I said today are just for you. Especially the talk in the Ensign.
Joseph, you pogi kid you! And Boodledoo you stinker-poo! Goshh, I love yall!!!
Aaron, my apologies for not responding til next time, but i loved the clothespins!!!!!!!! sneaky guy

all my love, sis r

No comments:

Post a Comment